Your patio is one of your living spaces that adds the most value to your home. Outdoor tiles are essential to make your patio areas look smart and attractive. These are one of the important elements of a patio design as these will affect the feel and look of your outdoor living space.
More than just designing your outdoor patio, deciding on the right type of floor can be a daunting task. Here’s a quick guide to choosing the best outdoor tile for your home.
- Strength – Unlike all the other tiles used for indoor walls and floors, outdoor tiles need to be able to withstand a wide range of temperatures and need to be particularly durable. You need to anticipate the foot traffic in your patio to determine just how strong your outdoor tile should be.
- Texture & Slip Resistance – The texture and slipperiness of a tile is important in outdoor living spaces compared to indoor environments. Moisture is often innate on an outdoor patio. Your outdoor tiles should provide slip resistance to keep users from slipping. Remember that non-slip surfaces are critical for outdoor tiles.
- Weather Conditions – You need to consider the weather condition in your area. If you live in an area exposed to freezing, you need a tile that can withstand this type of weather. Some tiles crack within these conditions because they are fairly porous.
- Light Exposure – The amount of sunlight that your patio gets is a consideration on what type of tile to choose. Bright spaces best suites with darker tiles. Shady areas with less light should be tiles with lighter colours to brighten up the space.
Popular Outdoor Tiles
- Granite – Associated mostly with kitchen countertops, granite can also be used for patios and pool areas. Granite can come in a wide range of colours, perfect for any outdoor design. Granites are very durable and hard-wearing which is perfect for your pool patios.
- Travertine – A natural stone tile with a beautiful texture and color. This is a very attractive and hard stone for your outdoor patio. Just remember to seal your stone to give it optimum protection and make maintenance easier.
- Limestone – Being a softer stone, Limestone has a simple classic look, with very minimal pattern. This tile is best for outdoor patios and even around your pool area. Don’t forget to seal.
- Porcelain tiles – Porcelain is a great option for those who have a busy lifestyle. Durable and sturdy for the kids and pets to run around on, and they come in a vast range of colours and designs.