Hardwood floors are the dream flooring of choice in many Australian homes. Yet without proper care and continual treatment, wooden floors are often prone to scratching and wood shrinkage, especially in humid conditions. A better way to achieve the same look is by using wood-look tiles. The great part is, wood-look tiles can be used in areas where real wood wouldn’t hold up including bathroom floors and pool decking.
At Stone & Tile Studio, we stock a beautiful range of Millelegni porcelain wood-look tiles which harness the beauty of the world’s rarest timbers. From White Toulipier to Millelegni Grey Ash, you can create an area that’s sleek and timeless, while enjoying a low maintenance flooring.
The myths surrounding wood look tiles
There are three major myths of wood grain tiles. Let’s debunk them, shall we?
- The grout makes wood look tiles look inauthentic – the beauty of technologically made and designed tiles is that they are mechanically finished with precision. This means a tiler is able to place the tiles tightly together with minimal grout – as little as 3/16 of an inch – giving you a look which is consistent to natural hardwood flooring.
- Wood tile floors are cold – In general, porcelain tile flooring does maintain a moderate (but not cold) temperature, which is well-suited to warm Queensland summers.
- “The tiles will look fake” – Wood-look tiles, particularly the Millelegni series, uses digital imaging and innovative technology and manufacturing to introduce highly realistic textures, found in quality grade timber products. They won’t repeat the same knots and grains with every tile either. Each tile is designed to complement the next, giving you an authentic looking floor
Our top tips for making the most of the wood look
- While Millelegni wood tiles have a large variety of patterns, if you’re covering a large space, you can avoid spotting pattern repeats by rotating the orientation of the tile to break up the overall look
- Wood look tiles are available in a few formats – ceramic, concrete and porcelain tiles. If you’re looking for a durable solution at an affordable cost, we recommend opting for porcelain tiles
- When it comes to grouting, choose a colour that is one shade darker than your selected tile. The slightly darker grouting will give the illusion that the grouting is simply shadowing around the wood planks – or tiles in this case!
- Wood look tiles are so versatile. Asides from your indoor living area, we recommend using these tiles in areas you normally wouldn’t dare, such as the bathroom, outdoor entertainment areas and even pool areas.ll
- Aside from its versatility, wood look tiles are anti-slip and super simple to maintain. Much like regular tiles, all they require to maintain their stunning appearances is a regular sweep and mop. Too easy!
Wood look tiles are an affordable way to enjoy this natural look both indoors and outdoors for years to come. If you’re hoping to build or upgrade your home with wood look tiles in Brisbane, Stone & Tile Studio offer the full range of Millelegni porcelain wood look tiles. Book an appointment with our design team or see the tiles in person at our Brisbane showroom today.